Sunday, November 27, 2016

Fabric Shopping in Paris

When searching for fabric shops in Paris I came across Malhia Kent. It is situated under the Promenade Plantee which was the inspiration for the High Line in new York. We loved walking the High Line, so we planned a walk and the everyone really enjoyed it. We stopped for lunch in a park and a play in a playground.* Malhia Kent weave their own fabric using all sorts of textiles. They sell pre cut pieces at quite reasonable prices. The pre cut pieces are quite large, 2-3m, from memory. I only bought a remnant because most of the fabrics are quite bulky. Down the stairs are rolls and rolls of beautiful fabrics. If you wanted to make a Chanel inspired jacket or and amazing coat this would be the place to go. Right next door is Le Bonheur des Dames, a cross stitch and embroidery shop.                            Paris has an entire street of fabric shops at the foot of the Sacre-Coeur. We were staying in Montmartre just a couple of hundred metres away - in this apartment with the best roof window! (I swear I don't plan any of these coincidences, I did get quite lucky finding fabric shops on this trip!!). The twins and I went for a walk there one day. We climbed the Sacre-Coeur and admired the amazing view of Paris and then wandered down the hill. It was a Wednesday and unfortunately quite a few shops were shut for a Cultural Day including Marche St Pierre which sounded amazing in everything I had read about it. Their coupon shop was open, this was full of 3m pre-cuts of all different fabrics. I bought a really nice piece of black and white silk. Tissus Reine next door was open. They have these small odd size mannequins showing the fabrics made up in all different designs. 


They have lovely fabrics , including a huge range of Liberty and these amazing silks, unfortunately these were out of my budget or I would have bought them all.
For more information on fabric and crafting shopping in Paris Christine Haynes has an article in Seamwork. 
Top: remnant from Malhia Kent
Bottom: Black and White silk
*Travelling with a 4 year old meant lots of playground stops - there is also a good one in the Jardin des Tuileries close to Angelinas who make the best ever hot chocolates and macarons, and they do take away!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a great trip - we'll be there in early January with my mother. I'm sure some fabric shopping will be done!

colesworth said...

I didn't realise how many fabric shops were in that area. I was with my husband and 6 yo last year and I had to leave them at a cafe for a while and do a whirlwind explore. I only bought some wax print at a place called Frou Frou because we were only there for a couple of days and heading to Lille for a week. We also spent some time in that big playground at the Tuileries ;o)

Kate said...

Frou Frou was closed the day I went - so disappointed!

Abby and Stephanie said...

There should be a fabric "cruise." You could be the tour guide and we could all leave our families at home and shop for fabrics all over the world. LOL